I LOVE TO EAT fresh meals in the backcountry, but sometimes managing the weight of THE needed ingredients can be tricky!
HERE IS A SIMPLE backpacking TIKKA MASALA featuring salmon and carrots cooked in a FLAVOURFUL RICH SAUCE, served over couscous, packed with protein and calorie dense!
SCROLL DOWN FOR HOW THe WEIGHT OF THIS RECIPE COMPARES TO THAT OF a STORE BOUGHT DEHYDRATED MEAL!
INGREDIENT LIST :
- 1 cup chopped carrots / 2 large carrots (You could use sweet potato or potato if you prefer)
- 1 large shallot
- 1-2 green onions/scallions
- 2/3 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 single serving salmon in bags
- 3 tablespoons of coconut milk powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato powder
- 1 tablespoon spice mix (see below recipe)
- 1 packet of True Lime or True Lemon
- ½ teaspoon of powdered veggie stock
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
SPICE MIX by Veena Azmanov:
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon hot chili powder (to taste - I like mine spicy)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
COOKING GEAR LIST:
- 2 bowls. I like these Delta bowls by Sea to Summit because the lids can be used as cutting boards
- Small cutting board if you can't use lid bowls to cut on
- 1 knife, I love this knife by Opinel
- Small BPA free screw top bottle for powdered coconut milk and veggie stock
- Small BPA free screw top bottle for spice mix, powdered tomato, garam masala
- Small BPA free screw top bottle for vegetable oil
- 2 Stasher Bags (450ml) or Zip-loc
- 2 sporks (or forks. I use this cutlery set by GSI ).
- Jetboil or Pocket Rocket Stove
- Non-stick pot with lid
- A fuel canister that is compatible with your stove of choice
- 2.5 cups of water in a nalgene or bladder
- Stuff Sack
- 2-3 paper towels
MEAL PREP :
- Wash & dry your scallions, and slice off just the roots.
- Wash & dry your carrots, slice off just tops, but don't peel them.
- Wrap scallions, carrots and shallot in the paper towel and put into a Stasher bag.
- Portion out powdered coconut milk and veggie stock, into your BPA Free screw-top plastic container.
- Portion out spice mix, powdered tomato, and garam masala into your BPA Free screw-top plastic container.
- Portion out vegetable oil into your BPA Free screw-top plastic container.
- Grab your packs of salmon and True Lime.
- Portion out 2.5 cups of water into a bottle or bladder.
- Portion out 2/3 cups of couscous and put into a Stasher bag.
- Set aside 2 bowls.
- Set aside 1 knife & 2 sporks.
- Set aside Jetboil or Pocket Rocket Stove with pot.
- Set aside a lighter, and fuel canister.
- Place your prepped ingredients and supplies into a stuff sack and place in your backpack!
HOW TO COOK IT ALL
- Slice your carrots on the diagonal into 1/4" rounds, keep separate.
- Peel and slice your shallots, keep separate.
- Slice your scallions and keep separate.
- Heat 1 cup of water to boiling in your non-stick pot. While water is heating, place 1/3 cup of couscous into each bowl.
- When water is boiling, pour 1/2 cup into one bowl, stir well and cover. Repeat with second bowl.
- Place vegetable oil in pot and turn heat to medium.
- When oil is hot, add in your shallots, cook until fragrant and softened.
- Add in bottle of spices and powdered tomato, stir to coat shallots, and cook until the spices get fragrant.
- When you can really smell your spices, tip in your bottle with coconut milk powder/veggie stock and stir until coated.
- While still stirring, slowly add 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Add in your carrots and cook covered on medium low, stirring often, until carrots are a softness that is to your liking.
- Tip in your salmon, mix throughly and cook until warm (about 2-3 minutes).
- Pour in contents of True Lime packet, stir, turn off heat and cover.
- Grab your bowls with the couscous, take off the lids and fluff couscous with a fork,
- Portion Tikka Masala out over couscous and top with sliced scallions.
BUT HOW MUCH DOES IT WEIGH?
How much do the ingredients for the Tikka Masala backpacking recipe weigh?
Let's get into it!
- Carrots: 150g
- Shallot: 40g
- 1 Green Onion: 9g
- 2/3 cup uncooked couscous: 100g
- 2 packs of drained "canned" salmon: 148g
- 1 True Lime packet: 1g
- ½ teaspoon powdered veggie stock: .5g
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk powder: 15g
- 1 tablespoon spice mix: 5g
- 1 teaspoon garam masala: 1 g
- 3 teaspoons powdered tomato: 3 g
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil: 9g
Total Dry Weight: 481.5g
Total Dry Weight Per Serving (2): 241g
Total Dry Weight of 2 Packs of Alpine Aire Lasagna: 290g
Weight Per Serving: 145g
Weight Difference Per Serving on Homemade vs Store Bought: +96g