elevate your ON-THE-TRAIL RAMEN GAME with THIS simple YET FLAVOURFUL RECIPE!
by DEHYDRATING your VEGGIES AHEAD OF TIME, YOU'll DEFINITELY SAVE WEIGHT, but add TO THE cooking time. it's up to you WHETHER TO GO FRESH OR DRIED.
IF you're FEELING THE NEED FOR SOME EXTRA PROTEIN ADD IN MADE AHEAD HARD BOILED EGGS, BACON, OR TEMPEH.
MEAL PREP :
- Wash, dry, clean off ends and seeds then slice your zucchini, mushrooms and peppers into 1/8" pieces.
- If you are bringing fresh, wrap veggies in some paper towel and put into a moisture proof bag like this reusable silicon one by Stasher.
- If you are dehydrating, place your slices into the dehydrator and follow the recommended time and temperature settings for your device.
- Once your veggies are dehydrated, place two servings into a moisture proof container.
- Wash, dry, and trim off ends of two green onions / scallions. Wrap in paper towel and secure with a rubber band.
- Portion out 1 tsp of Tajin Spice ( I got mine in CDMX, but you can pick some up from Unimarket in YYC), and 1 tbsp of Black Sesame seeds into a couple of BPA Free screw-top plastic containers.
- Grab 2 packages of Sapporo Ichiban Miso Ramen.
- Portion out 6 cups of water into a bottle or bladder.
- Set aside 2 bowls with lids.
- Set aside 1 knife, I love this knife by Opinel and 2 sporks (or forks. I use this cutlery set by GSI ).
- Set aside Jetboil or Pocket Rocket Stove with pot.
- Set aside a lighter, and fuel canister that is compatible with your stove of choice.
- Place all the above ingredients and supplies into a stuff sack and place in your backpack!
HOW TO COOK IT ALL
- Pour about a cup of water into your Jetboil/Pot and add in one serving of veggies (half), bring to a boil and let simmer on low (or off heat) for about 10 minutes, to rehydrate the veggies.
- While this is happening, pour your ramen spice packet, 1 tsp of Tajin, and 1/2 Tbsp of black sesame seeds into the bowl and mix with a bit of water. Place your noodles right on top.
- Fill your Jetboil/Pot to 2 cups of water, bring back to a boil.
- Carefully pour the boiling water over the noodles into the bowl, cover, and let stand for 3-5 minutes.
- Repeat process for second serving, using the other bowl ;-)
- Top with sliced scallions, Sriracha, and more sesame seeds. Give it a stir and dig in!
THE JACKET I'M WEARING
Is the Ignitelite Stretch Reversible in Dark Berry/Pimento by Eddie Bauer. The stretch fabric doesn't restrict my mobility, and the synthetic insulation is lightweight, warm, and breathable. Even though I normally wear this jacket for ski touring, I find it perfect for hiking the Canadian Rockies in summer. Whether I reach for it when I am on a windy summit, or after the has gone down and the air cools rapidly, this jacket is perfect!
I have linked directly to products that I own, or own similar versions of (because the ones I have might be no longer available). Should you purchase something that is linked, it may be an affiliate and may earn a commission on any purchase made from the website at no additional cost to you. Not all links are affiliates. This recipe post is not sponsored, and the above ideas are my own. <3